Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Kings of Leon made me remember where I came from...

I watch a lot of documentaries.  Nothing super riveting. Usually some show about music, or hockey, or anything else that seems interesting.  I love the "Classic Albums" series for instance, where they go back to the original tapes that all these great albums were recorded on,  and talk to the artists about the inspiration for an album, song, or whatever.  It makes me appreciate subject more.  U2 released a doc about the making of Achtung Baby, which was already a cornerstone of my musical influences, and it made me love and respect it even more.  It's boring really, but it's a part of my life....

So the Kings of Leon released a doc about themselves a couple years ago, and I finally got around to watching it the other night.  It's called "Talihina Sky".  A friend of mine saw it when it was released, and gave it a huge negative review,  so I naturally had to watch it.  It certainly isn't the best band documentary I've ever seen.  It didn't make me like that band anymore than I do, which isn't saying much I'm pretty indifferent about them,  but I knew a bit of what they were about, so I wanted to see the story.

To be honest, the guys in the band pretty much drove me nuts.  They grew up in a Christian home,  spent their lives travelling with their parents as evangelists,  and had tons of natural musical talent.  They start a rock band, get signed, get a little money, get some attention,  and before you know it,  they're in drugs, partying, and doing everything they knew was wrong....

Why were they thinking this was good to show?  An hour and a half of their worst behavior.  Total brats.  Near the end, the singer said something to the effect of "I did what I did, I'm not proud of it, but it was a part of my journey, and I can look back and say, well I did it, but now I'm doing what I know is right."

I think they drove me nuts so much, because apart from being in a platinum selling band and from the south,  our stories are pretty similar.   How easy is it to forget what you came from?  How easily do we forget how messed up we might have been at one point?  Do we ever wonder where we would be if we kept on that path?  After thinking about it,  and reflecting on it, it brought me to a place of thanksgiving.  After looking back I'm thankful that the salvation I have will never run out.  I'm thankful that no matter how messed up I was,  there was and still is grace for me.   I'm thankful I can read about guys like Paul who said in Romans that nothing can separate us from the Love of God.  That's the best news ever for a screw up like me....

I think it's funny that a silly movie about a silly band was able to bring me to a cool place like that, but that's how it goes sometimes.  Hopefully my silly blog can get you to a similar place.  Take a minute, and be thankful for where you are.  If you're not happy where you are,  that's cool too.  Reach out,  and take the grace that's there for you.     Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment